Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bouley

Famous chef David Bouley serves modern French cuisine made with seasonal ingredients at his name sake TriBeCa restaurant Bouley. I must admit that even though I can appreciate the sophisticated menu I was disappointed that there weren't any vegetarian options. Although, at fancy restaurants like this I do like testing the chef's creativity by asking if they could create a pasta-free vegetarian dish for me. And to my surprise, I was served two amazing vegetarian dishes- an appetizer and an entree. Before the appetizers arrived we were greeted by a tray of warm artisan breads that including sourdough, raisin, wheat and French. My appetizer was a beautiful array of zucchini slices, frisee lettuce and shaved parmesan cheese. Between the appetizer and entree dishes our palette were cleansed with an egg-sized bowl of savory pudding topped with caviar-- as you can imagine, I slid this dish over to my dad to eat, but it did look pretty. For my entree I was served a delicious vegetable terrine of roasted red and green peppers, creamy goat cheese, zucchini and yellow squash. Before we even had a chance to order dessert they presented us with a palette cleanser of Coconut Soup accompanied by passion fruit, pineapple granite and organic yogurt sorbet. It was the perfect amount of chilled and sweet goodness. As you could imagine we were too full to even think of dessert but when the menu was in front of us we could resist the assortment of sorbets. Apparently the waiter felt as if that just wasn't enough so he surprised us with a complimentary creme brulee followed by a three tiered sliver platter of miniature cookies. Restaurateurs everywhere should take note of Bouley's hospitable behavior- not only were we treated like royalty throughout the meal, we were given a loaf of sweet lemon bread as a parting gift compliments of Bouley Bakery.

One of my absolute favorite details at Bouley restaurant is the entrance and decor. In the first entry way red country apples line the wooden walls which provides a comforting aroma upon entering. The actual restaurant space is glamorized with textured fabrics like velvet and rough satin under a gold toned ceiling.

Diner's Tip: Late in 2008 Bouley moved across the street from its original location and is now located at 163 Duane Street (at Hudson Street). Also note that the dress code is business casual- no jeans and a recommended coat for men.